The mandate of DRIC is to oversee Consultancy Services engaged in by individuals and groups in the University; oversee and support the conduct of research in the University and create a conducive environment to nurture creativity and innovation.
In order to fully realise this mandate, DRIC performs the following functions:
- Develop, review, sensitise and implement tenets of University Research, Innovation and Consultancy Policies.
- Develop and coordinate university-wide research agenda.
- Source funding for research and manage all designated research funds.
- Develop and routinely advise the Academic Board on the (i) criteria for the research component for promotion; (ii) motivating research effort of faculty; and (iii) sponsoring research and conferences.
- Organise and support Departments in the collection of longitudinal data and generate a repository of secondary data by liaising with relevant agencies that collect data.
- Coordinate all seminars and workshops in the University based on the research agenda.
- Coordinate and support the publication of journals and books in the University.
- Liaise with the Directorate of Academic Planning and Quality Assurance (DAPQA) to advise the University management on procedures that promote research-based teaching, and report all activities annually to the Academic Board through the Vice Chancellor.
- Undertake Consultancy (Research Training & Advisory Services) in the areas of Education, Agriculture, Tourism, Science, Socio-Economic Development, Industry, Business and the Environment.
- Provide a wide range of expert and professional services for the local environment and the nation.
- Act as a clearinghouse for all individual and group consultancies in the University.
- Identify, promote and facilitate innovations and patenting
The following are the strengths of DRIC:
- Unique advantage of drawing on a wide range of expertise available in all Faculties, Departments, Units and Sections of the University;
- Possess a portfolio of research and consultancy experience;
- Mandated to image the research and innovation activities of the University;
- External recognition as the outfit authorised to facilitate the conduct of research, innovation and consultancy in the University;
- Mandated to use all available physical facilities, equipment and support services in the Faculties, Research Centres and Institutes of the University in the execution of consultancy projects.